Taking a potty break

12.03.2008

I never make New Year's resolutions. I figure if I want to change something, then there's no time like the present to get it going. Actually, what it really means is that I can be a complete slack ass and not worry about having to make or maintain a resolution. But you probably figured that out already...

You've probably also gathered that I have an atrocious mouth on me. I can (and do!) swear like a trucker and don't often rein it in. It's just a part of my charm and fuck you if you don't like it.

I had a friend who taught her children that they could only swear if they asked permission. Her thinking was that the kids could know the words, but until they learned when and where those words were appropriate, they needed to ask her first. This was put to the test when her son was getting ready for a school event. She watched from across the gymnatorium as he stubbed the crap out of his toe. Limping, he came over to her and asked if he could please swear. She acquiesced and in a very quiet - yet emphatic - voice he said, "fuck, fuck, fuck." On the other hand, you have the way I was raised. We were taught that there were many more socially acceptable ways of saying something and swearing just meant you were uneducated or at the very least unimaginative.

Which is a perfect segue into my point. We've discussed how to address swearing and raising kids. Since we're still undecided as to which school of thought to follow, I've decided that I need to clean up my potty mouth regardless. I can't very well expect our son not to swear if I'm dropping F-bombs all over the place. As such, I'm going to stop swearing. I'll begin here (where it's easy to edit) and use it as practice for the new year. Maybe as January rolls around, I'll be able to make and keep my very first New Year's resolution. Fuckin' A, man.

Labels:



[ back home ]

Comments for Taking a potty break
I ran into that issue with Jake and resolved that anyone that curses in the house (including Jake) has to put a dollar in the curse jar. Jake has taken this a step further and charges a dollar every time he's offended by someone's swearing. I'll be damned if he hasn't racked up about $200 off of me in one way or another - he made $24 at one hockey game alone (damn you Dallas Stars DAMN YOU!!!)

Many people (including my parents) don't feel that this is an effective way to teach my child about cursing. But I think it is because I have to think about cursing and whether or not its worth it to curse. And Jake is sooo over the cursing tha the doesn't do it - he always catches himself because he prefers not to speak in such vulgar tones.

And yes, I realize I owe you like $3.

My mother's method was similar to yours... that cursing, for the most part, was just laziness or ignorance because you didn't have the vocabulary to truly express yourself. (And replacing the f-word with something like "fudge" was just as lazy, and in time becomes its own swear word.) Her other point was that she didn't like to hear it, so she didn't curse around us, and we damn sure better not curse around her.

I think it was effective in the sense that we learned that there is a place and time for cursing, and we learned the art of editing your words as you speak. Cursing at the office, the classroom, at home in front of the parents; no. The schoolyard, the locker room, watching the game at home sans parents; ok.

#@!% that. I learned all the best swear words from MY mother and I was planning on carrying the tradition with the twins. I personally believe swearing is an artform. :-D

© 2007 - 2009 Irreverent Mother | Layout by Gecko & Fly.
Steal anything from this site and you'll be sent to your room without dinner.

Curious?

If you picture everything the Catholics say you should be, and then reverse damn near all of it, you'll have a good idea what I'm all about.

I can be loving and a pain in the ass, all in the same breath (it's my special talent). I have strong opinions, but am willing to listen to others. If you want to discuss politics or religion, finance or pop culture, .