On the eve of one

10.22.2009

One year ago today, I was in very active labor. The doctor had warned that if I didn't go into labor on my own, then by Friday he was going to induce. I'd already had a few false starts, so an induction and potential C-section were looming.

I'm sure you've heard all the "surefire" ways of naturally inducing labor. There's nipple stimulation (nope, just annoying); "The Salad" from Caioti Pizza (yummy, but no dice - though one woman's account that it induced a massive fart at 4:00 in the morning made me giggle); sex (for lesbians, this doesn't work at all - it's not the nookie, but the...um... "man juice" shall we say? that does it); an enema (I'll spare you that); long walks (nope) and finally castor oil. It was down to the end. So I went to the drug store... and bought... castor oil. (Cue dramatic organ music.)

I had been warned to have a glass of OJ to cut the ooze that was going to make its way down my throat. Very. Good. Advice. Chug-a-lug... Taste-wise, not too nasty, but imagine thick oil coating your entire mouth and you'll understand why that OJ was sage advice.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the intended effect of castor oil, it's supposed to make you poop. I guess the thinking is that if everything below your boobs is intent on expelling something, then your uterus may as well join the party. Take a crap and out pops a baby!

As advertised, the castor oil worked. Contractions began and this time they didn't stop. In the wee hours of October 23rd, Bean entered the world.

And tomorrow he turns one.

I may just crap myself all over again.

Labels:



[ back home ]

Comments for On the eve of one
Well, this was definitely a less saccharin "Ode to turning 1" blog post than I usually read. :-)

Happy birthday Jack! Your entry into the world has brought great joy to many people. May all your birthdays to come be as full of love, laughter and happiness.

Is this perhaps why our culture is obsessed with referring to children with poop-isms? Bean has become (very affectionately) "turd." Start as you mean to continue I suppose. He's the most perfect poop ever!!

© 2007 - 2009 Irreverent Mother | Layout by Gecko & Fly.
Steal anything from this site and you'll be sent to your room without dinner.

Curious?

If you picture everything the Catholics say you should be, and then reverse damn near all of it, you'll have a good idea what I'm all about.

I can be loving and a pain in the ass, all in the same breath (it's my special talent). I have strong opinions, but am willing to listen to others. If you want to discuss politics or religion, finance or pop culture, .