If only...

1.01.2009

If only it seemed like postpartum depression - the uncontrollable crying or the thoughts of suicide - I'd be able to identify it. Instead, I find myself in a state of what? postpartum rage maybe? It's constant. At best, it's below the surface and somewhat controlled. Much of the time, however (and unfortunately), it presents as me being a chronic grump. I snap at the least provocation and, in my mind, I'm doing some very unfriendly things to those closest to me.

And don't even get me started on the whereabouts of my sex drive. It's like I'm playing Marco Polo with my libido. For one who is normally very interested and who rarely needs encouragement, I am now sexually anorexic. This plays (I'm sure heavily) into the snapping and fighting, too. Talk about insult to injury.

The only times I feel sane and peaceful are when I'm alone with Bean, and even that's not a sure thing. My fickle moods have me wanting nothing more than to be alone with him, only to be resentful of the fact that I can't be away from him for more than an hour or two. The really messed up aspect of this is I have a very understanding partner who would gladly make either scenario a reality, but I can't seem to hold onto one desire long enough to make that happen.

So. For the girl who never makes New Year's resolutions, it seems I now have two: to clean up my language and to find a therapist, stat. Anyone have any recommendations?

Labels:



[ back home ]

Comments for If only...
although my heart aches for you, I can certainly empathize- hope you find someone soon to talk to- it will only get better- love you with all my h- only love and joy in 2009- kisses to N and B-
love froufrillions-
aunti moi

"Strong feelings of sadness or anger 1 or 2 months after delivery" is listed all over the place as a sign of postpartum depression. I'd find a doctor you trust and get it treated, naturally if possible (not that therapy is a bad thing for anyone regardless).

Oh yeah, and then tell Tom Cruise to go take a flying f*ck and stick his vitamins where the sun don't shine...new year's resolutions be damned.

It will get better. Good drugs and good therapy work wonders. I am always a phone call away...or a really long plane ride. Might I recommend USAir??? They are fabulous!

In all seriousness...much love to you from your favorite sister!

oh yuck. I'm so sorry. Sounds like fairly typical ppd to me. I hope it passes soon. Douglas claims that my bubbling under the surface anger lasted a couple of months....

It will pass, I promise.

Sent an email with some referrals.

© 2007 - 2009 Irreverent Mother | Layout by Gecko & Fly.
Steal anything from this site and you'll be sent to your room without dinner.

Curious?

If you picture everything the Catholics say you should be, and then reverse damn near all of it, you'll have a good idea what I'm all about.

I can be loving and a pain in the ass, all in the same breath (it's my special talent). I have strong opinions, but am willing to listen to others. If you want to discuss politics or religion, finance or pop culture, .