Now if we could get Tom Cruise to do the same...

10.26.2009

Scientology as a religion baffles me. Seemingly intelligent people join and the reasons just don't make sense. Is it the promise of fame and glory? Is it a deep and abiding love for sci-fi? Is is it the refusal to believe any other organized religion?

Okay, I'm with them on that last point...

Actually, very few recognized religions make sense to me. I count myself as an agnostic atheist (agnostheist? athenostic?) depending on my mood. At times it's a flat-out disbelief in any higher power, at others it's an uncertainty. However, my beliefs are mine, and I don't expect others to do what I do. Likewise, I don't do well with following senseless orders. Apparently, Paul Haggis agrees. After 35 years with the Cult Church of Scientology, he's finally come to his senses and decided to quit. Two of the main reasons are because Scientology refused to take a stand against homophobia and the other had to do with them forcing his wife to sever contact from her family.

Read the whole thing here.

Once you've read it, if you can enlighten me as to why people join in the first place, I'd love to hear.

Labels:



[ back home ]

Comments for Now if we could get Tom Cruise to do the same...

© 2007 - 2009 Irreverent Mother | Layout by Gecko & Fly.
Steal anything from this site and you'll be sent to your room without dinner.

Curious?

If you picture everything the Catholics say you should be, and then reverse damn near all of it, you'll have a good idea what I'm all about.

I can be loving and a pain in the ass, all in the same breath (it's my special talent). I have strong opinions, but am willing to listen to others. If you want to discuss politics or religion, finance or pop culture, .