Moronic machinations

2.18.2009

Wondering why today's post is so late? Of course you are. I've spent the better part of my day trying to wade through tax code to figure out how to file. If you are a gay couple and are registered domestic partners AND you had the nerve to have a child in the last tax year, then boy are you in for some fun!!

The federal government considers me head of household (HOH). They came to this conclusion because I have a dependent for whom I provided more than half of the financial support. As a result, Uncle Sam will be giving me a nice little chunk of change. Cheers!

In California, we are registered domestic partners, but this is in conflict with my HOH federal filing status. In order for my state filing status to match my federal, I have to either A) change federal status to married (which I can't, so thanks for nothing on that front, US government!) or B) lie on my state return and say that we didn't live together for more than half the year (which totally plays into the religious right's hand about how we are flaky and our relationships don't last). H&R Block gives me a great way to circumvent this. (That's sarcasm, in case it didn't translate.)

For me to be able to file electronically - without lying - I have to:
  • create a federal return as HOH

  • file said return electronically

  • go back and create a SECOND federal return, this time as married, filing separately - we won't even get into the fact that doing so doubles the amount of time this will take

  • do not file this return, but use it for state

  • create a state return as married, filing separately

  • mail in state return, lest an electronic submission show a conflict

  • delete second federal return

It makes me want to smack those sanctity of marriage morons more than I regularly want to.

If you find yourself in the same boat, here are a couple resources we found to be helpful: H&R Block's advice and an article in the San Francisco Chronicle.

Labels:



[ back home ]

Comments for Moronic machinations
pffft.. filing taxes is for suckers.


;-)

Well, hell, we wouldn’t want gays to have the same rights as everyone else – I mean, look how disastrous freeing slaves and giving women the right to vote turned out to be....

Hell's bells, parenting is taxing. So is having split status, state-wise and federal-wise. I sat through a presentation on LGBT tax filing stuff and left more confused than when I entered. Though truth be told, my math confusion threshold is dangerously low.

Just wanted to pop by and say I'm so glad to have gotten to know you via the Lezzies thing! Go Team Irreverence!

Polly, it sounds like you and I are in the same boat. Not only is math not my fave, but my tolerance for stupidity (which I consider this to be) is *realllllly* low. At least taxes only happen once a year!

© 2007 - 2009 Irreverent Mother | Layout by Gecko & Fly.
Steal anything from this site and you'll be sent to your room without dinner.

Curious?

If you picture everything the Catholics say you should be, and then reverse damn near all of it, you'll have a good idea what I'm all about.

I can be loving and a pain in the ass, all in the same breath (it's my special talent). I have strong opinions, but am willing to listen to others. If you want to discuss politics or religion, finance or pop culture, .