I am NOT a second class citizen

11.10.2008

By now you've heard about Prop 8 and its outcome. While the passage of it saddens me almost beyond compare, the aftermath's galvanizing effects hearten me. I know I live in a very liberal city and in a very gay neighborhood within. The day-to-day of this existence means I am often taken aback at the outright hatred perfect strangers spew at me via ridiculous ballot measures, legislation and politics in general. Proposition 8, however, seems to be a little different. From the anti-prop 8 rallies all over the state (and beyond), to national TV personalities taking a stand, it's nice to see people getting good and pissed about this. Keith Olbermann made a 6-minute speech tonight about Prop 8 that simultaneously made me want to cry and to hunt him down and plant a big, slobbery kiss on his mug. I know this is sort of long, but seriously, take a look (or you can read it here).


To my mind, this is a case of rights gone wrong and the continuation of painting us as lesser citizens, and it makes me want to scream. My thoughts can be summed up best by a sign seen at one of the rallies:

Do I get to vote on your marriage?


I mean, if you're going to legislate me to death, can I please return the favor?

Labels: ,



[ back home ]

Comments for I am NOT a second class citizen
You, Nat, and Bean wanna join Jake and I at the protest rally at City Hall Saturday morning?

Olbermann can be such a blowhard most of the time, but I was really touched by that special comment. I hope he reached people, and perhaps changed some minds.

by odd coincidence, the "word verification" gibberish i have to type in to post this is

"nomormon"

ha!

I just read this:
http://www.beyondchron.org/news/index.php?itemid=6292

which is very hopeful news!

© 2007 - 2009 Irreverent Mother | Layout by Gecko & Fly.
Steal anything from this site and you'll be sent to your room without dinner.

Curious?

If you picture everything the Catholics say you should be, and then reverse damn near all of it, you'll have a good idea what I'm all about.

I can be loving and a pain in the ass, all in the same breath (it's my special talent). I have strong opinions, but am willing to listen to others. If you want to discuss politics or religion, finance or pop culture, .