New day

11.05.2008

It's a new day, with a new president. I was watching the coverage last night, holding my breath. Would McCain't try and pull a fast one like Bush the Stupider did in 2000? Would we go to bed not knowing the outcome? The margins were looking promising, but the past 8 years have done nothing to assuage my fears. My mom couldn't even watch for fear that she would somehow jinx it. I held my breath as the West Coast polls closed and then saw the projected results. And I'm not ashamed to say this - I cried.

I cried tears of joy because finally it seems our country hasn't lost its fucking mind. I cried because our son (and all sons and daughters) will grow up knowing that he can be whatever he wants to be. I cried for all the people who felt disenfranchised, downtrodden and just plain broken by our government.

For once, my mental jukebox has served up the perfect song for the occasion:



It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life for all of us. Happy day, all.

Labels: ,



[ back home ]

Comments for New day
I cried too - no shame in saying it. I was even saying "YES WE CAN" alone in the living room while PRESIDENT-ELECT OBAMA was making his speech.

Welcome to the new US of A.

I'm also delighted. In fact, yesterday would have been a perfect day..EXCEPT:

Prop 8. F'ing ruined my whole day. I'm still not over it.

The big Prop 8 rally/protest had helicopters circling here for hours. It makes me hopeful that Schwarzenegger will make good on his promise to veto. Fingers crossed!

Whatever is a cruel wrong,
Whatever is unjust,
The honest years that speed along
Will trample in the dust...
-- Ella Wheeler Wilcox, It All Will Come Out Right.

© 2007 - 2009 Irreverent Mother | Layout by Gecko & Fly.
Steal anything from this site and you'll be sent to your room without dinner.

Curious?

If you picture everything the Catholics say you should be, and then reverse damn near all of it, you'll have a good idea what I'm all about.

I can be loving and a pain in the ass, all in the same breath (it's my special talent). I have strong opinions, but am willing to listen to others. If you want to discuss politics or religion, finance or pop culture, .