Take a stand

10.30.2008

If you think about it, Prop 8 is like a microcosm of the whole election. To my mind, David Sedaris' recent piece in The New Yorker about undecided voters perfectly explains the two sides:
To put them in perspective, I think of being on an airplane. The flight attendant comes down the aisle with her food cart and, eventually, parks it beside my seat. "Can I interest you in the chicken?" she asks. "Or would you prefer the platter of shit with bits of broken glass in it?"

To be undecided in this election is to pause for a moment and then ask how the chicken is cooked.

I mean, really, what’s to be confused about?
Do you remember that part in Ferris Bueller where Cameron decides he needs to take a stand? It's right after the car goes crashing into the ravine. Anyway, this is kind of like that. At some point, you have to be very still, stop listening to the bullshit and realize that it's time you made yourself heard. This kind of change begins with you.

In that spirit, a friend of mine is staging her own protest against this ballot measure. She says, "I've decided to make myself feel better by standing up to the homophobic fuckheads by holding up my sign." Since all politics is local, I don't know of any better way to amp up the visibility of this issue.

"Let us not concern ourselves with what we have tried and failed, but with what it is still possible to do. Let us spare no energy that the nation and the world may be better for our efforts." - Tip O'Neill

So tomorrow, if you have the time, please join up with my friend at West Hollywood Park at 3:00. Bring a sign if you have it and your desire to take a stand. Tell her I sent you.

Labels: ,



[ back home ]

Comments for Take a stand
which park?

West Hollywood Park - bring friends!

© 2007 - 2009 Irreverent Mother | Layout by Gecko & Fly.
Steal anything from this site and you'll be sent to your room without dinner.

Curious?

If you picture everything the Catholics say you should be, and then reverse damn near all of it, you'll have a good idea what I'm all about.

I can be loving and a pain in the ass, all in the same breath (it's my special talent). I have strong opinions, but am willing to listen to others. If you want to discuss politics or religion, finance or pop culture, .