Commune contribution

2.26.2009

One of my favorite getting to know you/dinner party/bored and curious questions is "if we all lived on a commune, what would be your contribution?" I find it interesting because it shows what people truly enjoy. (It's also a little depressing to hear how few of us are actually doing what we wish we could be doing.) For my contribution I'd be a furniture maker. Never mind the fact that I've only made a few tables in my life, or that my woodworking tools were left behind when we moved to LA. The smell of sawdust and the calming repetition of hand planing soothes me and I enjoy it tremendously.

Eventually, we want to buy a house here, and when we do, I'm getting my wood shop back together. I'd love it if that shop could be my little cottage industry. Over the weekend I made a bed rail for Bean. It took me all of 20 minutes, but it felt really good. I'd rather the kids see me producing something tangible than wondering why Mama's such a crank after being in the office all day. The only downside is money. They say the only way to end up with a little bit of money from woodworking is to start with a great, big pile of it and watch as you piss it away. This is why the commune question is illuminating. In a perfect world, money wouldn't be a consideration.

What about you? If money/time/ability weren't a problem, what would your contribution be?

Labels: ,



[ back home ]

Comments for Commune contribution
I would be the court jester...or the commune equivalent. :)

I would write (and tell around the hearth at night) fascinating stories - and still not get paid for it! :)

I'd totally be the mayor. Do communes have mayors? No? K, then I'd be whatever would fulfill my politician wannabe yearnings. I'd be a commune organizer, which is completely different from a communist organizer. Ha!

That is a really good question. I think I'd provide humor and music.

Well duh...I would do everyone's hair so they didn't look like a bunch of commune freaks that don't get out much.

Not sure- maybe sexual tension reliever, or maybe just cookie baker, but enough about me-
there are communes around- perhaps you could look into them- they just might need a furniture maker, court jester and fantasmagorical Bean! Money issues solved! Besides, money is overrated- just look at our government....
Auntie Moi

© 2007 - 2009 Irreverent Mother | Layout by Gecko & Fly.
Steal anything from this site and you'll be sent to your room without dinner.

Curious?

If you picture everything the Catholics say you should be, and then reverse damn near all of it, you'll have a good idea what I'm all about.

I can be loving and a pain in the ass, all in the same breath (it's my special talent). I have strong opinions, but am willing to listen to others. If you want to discuss politics or religion, finance or pop culture, .