And then they came for me

10.20.2008

We were at the farmers market yesterday and the No on 8 folks were there to register voters and get the word out. We were both surprised to hear that No on 8 is losing to the proponents. A little digging today and I've found that No on 8 is $10 million behind the Yes people.

Let me repeat that.

TEN MILLION DOLLARS BEHIND

The Yes people have so much money because the Mormon Church is bankrolling a large percentage, as are out of state interests. Why these people give a rat's ass about something that doesn't change their lives one iota is completely beyond me.

Time is running out and the election is only a few short weeks away. If you feel that equality is worth fighting for (notice I didn't say "marriage" - this has nothing to do with marriage and everything to do with equal rights under law), then please donate to Equality California. Every little bit counts. Your $5 or $50 could be just the bit that helps us.

If you're still on the fence, or feel that a California measure doesn't affect you (maybe you're out of state), then think again. What if anti-miscegenation laws were still on the books? How about Jim Crow? Think those were any different? Think those only applied to people outside of your sphere? See if you can spot the similarities:
In Germany, they came first for the Communists,
And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist;

And then they came for the trade unionists,
And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist;

And then they came for the Jews,
And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew;

And then... they came for me...
And by that time there was no one left to speak up.

They're coming. Donate now.

Labels:



[ back home ]

Comments for And then they came for me
There's a glimmer of hope! Some evangelical leaders are bucking the trend and opposing Proposition 8

Done, and done. Any idea where I can get a yard sign?

Hey Lady :) You can get yard signs and all kinds of loot here: www.noonprop8store.com
and their site also lists the field offices, which may have signs, etc. as well. Roll on Nov 4th!!

As a non-resident, I can't vote but I can say this. "Separate but equal" is not only an oxymoron but impossible.

© 2007 - 2009 Irreverent Mother | Layout by Gecko & Fly.
Steal anything from this site and you'll be sent to your room without dinner.

Curious?

If you picture everything the Catholics say you should be, and then reverse damn near all of it, you'll have a good idea what I'm all about.

I can be loving and a pain in the ass, all in the same breath (it's my special talent). I have strong opinions, but am willing to listen to others. If you want to discuss politics or religion, finance or pop culture, .