Cooties and germs

3.12.2009

We have an ongoing debate in our household. Well, "debate" may be giving it more polish or weight than it deserves. Regardless, it centers around our floors and their cleanliness.

See, I was raised to always wear slippers or shoes. I'm not certain, but I guess my parents' rationale was that it kept our socks from getting filthy and from needing to be replaced often. Who knows. What it means is that, after so many years of footwear, I feel more comfortable in something with a sole than without.

Sweetie was raised with cats. This means that she is used to cat hair and cat effluvium all over the house. I, on the other hand, think that litter tracked around the house is nothing more than doo-doo sprinkles underfoot. Gross, right?

This is the crux of the matter. When I come home, my natural inclination is to keep my shoes on and proceed about my business. This drives Sweetie nuts. She's all for the Japanese way of thinking. If you wear your shoes indoors, then you're tracking all the outside dirt inside. And in the near future, Bean will be crawling in it.

But... doo-doo sprinkles everywhere is okay. Someone please explain this "logic."

Labels:



[ back home ]

Comments for Cooties and germs
She left out the itty bitty tidbit about me being an overall clean freak...so said "doo-doo sprinkles" are swept/vacuumed daily. And yes, call me crazy, but I am much more comfortable with animal dirt than with the dirt that kicks in from the streets of Los Angeles! :)

Ever since I got together with my wife, I have worn slippers in the house. We have the hard soled ones (clog slippers from LL Bean) and they work great!! Now, if I don't wear them for some reason, I end up stubbing my toes everywhere!
I would try those if I were you, since they would get rid of the "outside dirt" problem.

Hi Lez - thanks for joining! The thing is - I *have* hard soled slippers. I just never have them right at the door the second I walk in. You'd think it would be easy enough to just swap shoes for slippers a la Mr. Rogers, but I always seem to have left slippers in the bedroom, or need to grab one last thing before leaving the house and taking the shoes on and off is a nuisance.

Given that this is my current gripe, I'd say I'm a pretty lucky lady to have so little wrong in my life. ;)

Haha! I hear ya there! I got into the habit of putting mine by the door because of all my hurt toes (from stubbing them). Good luck! I hope you find a cure for your woes (and hers) soon:)

I can explain this "logic." Two different flavors of the same crazy!

I would say you have to agree to disagree. She can walk in the doo doo sprinkles in her bare feet and you can walk on top of them in your shoes. We are a shoes on kind of family and the girls are just fine! Me thinks you may be sweating WAY too much of the small stuff. Regardless of what he crawls around on or in it will not be what makes or breaks his childhood. Look at the big picture.

Don't pet the sweaty stuff...I mean sweat the petty stuff! That said, a shoe-free household is a happy household in my book. Just keep them slips at the door. :P

© 2007 - 2009 Irreverent Mother | Layout by Gecko & Fly.
Steal anything from this site and you'll be sent to your room without dinner.

Curious?

If you picture everything the Catholics say you should be, and then reverse damn near all of it, you'll have a good idea what I'm all about.

I can be loving and a pain in the ass, all in the same breath (it's my special talent). I have strong opinions, but am willing to listen to others. If you want to discuss politics or religion, finance or pop culture, .