Fire up the baby Orajel

3.02.2009

Yesterday was a momentous day. At just over 4 months old, our little guy cut his first tooth. He's so good natured, though, that we didn't even suspect it. We just figured that something I had eaten earlier didn't agree with him. Wrong-o, sports fans. That mild fussiness and upset belly were because of the tooth. When you consider that getting teeth in is sort of a series of compound fractures (bony protuberances through skin, right?) it's even more amazing that he's not completely losing it. If roles were reversed, I doubt I'd be as easy going. Of course, the fact that we're dosing him heavily with these natural teething tablets probably doesn't hurt.

Speaking of losing it, I can't wait for this to enter into our breastfeeding routine. (Smell that? That's sarcasm.) Even before teeth, Bean was doing the suck-chomp-yank thing on my nipples, so I can only imagine how much fun that will be with sharp baby teeth in the mix. I think I'm going to begin with this bit of advice from Dr. Sears: "As soon as you feel him begin to bite, draw him in very close to your breast, covering his nose in the process, so that he'll have to stop biting to be able to open his mouth and breathe."

Spare the bod, smother the child - isn't that how the saying goes?

Labels:



[ back home ]

Comments for Fire up the baby Orajel
If it's any consolation, I didn't get bitten very often. Once she figured out it would end the milkies, she stopped pretty quick :)

Make that tooth number two as of today! :) What a trooper...

© 2007 - 2009 Irreverent Mother | Layout by Gecko & Fly.
Steal anything from this site and you'll be sent to your room without dinner.

Curious?

If you picture everything the Catholics say you should be, and then reverse damn near all of it, you'll have a good idea what I'm all about.

I can be loving and a pain in the ass, all in the same breath (it's my special talent). I have strong opinions, but am willing to listen to others. If you want to discuss politics or religion, finance or pop culture, .